June 22, 2020 at 01:00PM
With non-medical face masks – like the one from Toronto-based brand Kaela Kay, pictured above – becoming part of the new normal in our daily life, it’s important to make sure you’re not compromising your health, and that you care for your face covering properly. Here’s six ways to take care of your non-medical mask:
- Every time you handle your mask—to put it on, while you’re wearing it, when you’re removing it–ensure you have washed your hands with warm, soapy water for at least 20 seconds, or that you have used hand sanitizer (that contains enough alcohol to kill bacteria) thoroughly.
- You must wash the mask after every use. Before washing, ensure that you removed any filter that you might have inserted.
- Some fabrics will have certain care specifications, so make sure to check with the brand that you bought it from in case they have specific material care guidelines. You must wash it thoroughly with soapy water (either in a washing machine or by hand) and allow it to dry completely before re-use. Spraying with an anti-bacterial solution is not enough.
- Store your mask somewhere clean and safe, such as inside a sealable plastic bag.
- Never handle someone else’s mask or share/allow others to touch your own mask.
- It’s important to note that wearing a mask is considered a complement to other precautions you must take during the COVID-19 pandemic.