Culture | Tradition | Sharing
Reading of the Day
The Qixi (Evening of Sevens) Festival, also known as Qiqiao (Beseeching Skills) Festival, falls on the 7th day of the 7th lunar month on the Chinese calendar.
It is alternatively referred to as the Double Seventh Festival, or the Night of Sevens.
This festival originates from a tale that told a love story between Niulang (the cowherd, symbolising Altair), and Zhinü (the weaver girl, symbolising Vega).
Due to the inherent royal blood in the weaver girl and the cowherd being a commoner, their love was forbidden and thus they were banished to opposite sides of the Silver River (symbolising the Milky Way).
Once a year, on the 7th day of the 7th lunar month, a flock of magpies would form a bridge to reunite the lovers for one day.
On this day, people gaze to the sky to look for Vega and Altair shining in the Milky Way, as the bright stars see each other from afar. It was said that if it rains on this day that the rain is the tears of the separated couple.
This legendary festival inspired ceremonial rituals that became common practice. Girls pray for wisdom, and take part in activities that display their domestic skills such as needlework, which was regarded as a must-have talent to marrying well.
Traditionally, there would be contests amongst those who attempted to be the best in threading needles under low-light conditions like the glow of an ember or a half moon. In modern days young children are encouraged to participate in craft from early age, in the hope of acquiring skills that would better prepare them for life.
The Qixi Festival is observed on the7th August 2019 and 25th August 2020.
by Sherry Xie
Career Woman | Bank of America Merrill Lynch
READ MORE ON CITYWOMEN
- 4 chair yoga moves that treat back pain sustained from slouching at your desk job
- 10 of the best yoga books to add to your shelf (or you know, use as a makeshift block)
- Combat ultra-tight legs with this yoga flow for runners
- I tried anti-gravity yoga to fulfill my Cirque du Soleil dreams—here’s what happened
- Can’t touch your toes? These two yoga moves will change that
- If your yoga mat feels more like a Slip ‘N Slide, you need to know this teacher’s genius trick
- 2 yoga moves you can do at your desk to ease neck and back tightness
- Jonathan Van Ness’ stress-busting yoga flow will make you say “yaaas” to rolling out your mat
- These yoga moves pretty much feel like a massage
- 10 wellness horror stories, straight from Well+Good readers (two words: yoga queef)
- How to fix the most common yoga mistakes, according to an instructor
- How to avoid over-stretching in yoga and Pilates—because yes, it happens
- Looking to make your yoga practice *even* more challenging? Ditch your mat
- Coming to a complexion near you: a yoga glow without ever hopping on a mat
- How to nail crow pose without face planting on your mat, according to a yoga instructor
- Peloton yoga is here, which means you can finally practice crow pose in peace
- Timber! Your yoga mat could be actively sabotaging your balancing poses
- I’m 5′ 11″ and I swear by these $17 Costco yoga pants
- I turned to yoga to heal after a breakup—this is what happened
- A yoga pro explains the correct way to do chair pose in order to truly work that bum
- Wanna become a yoga teacher? Here’s where to get certified in NYC and LA
- I practiced yoga on a cork mat, and I’ll be namastaying on it forever
- Yoga isn’t the only workout you should be doing barefoot
- Here’s where to practice Kundalini yoga in NYC and LA
- Nobody’s head-over-heels for every yoga pose. Here are 10 asana alternatives
- The one yoga pose you can do in bed to help recover from your intense January workouts
- If you’ve had a dizzy spell during yoga, here’s what could be behind it
- There are millions of yoga videos on YouTube, but these are our 5 favorite instructors
- 8 yoga mats that are practically works of art
- The dietitian’s guide to the healthiest fast food options at 14 of America’s favorite chain restaurants
- As plant-based eating continues to take off, Mexican cuisine returns to its vegan roots
- 7 recipes that prove your air fryer should part of *all* holiday cooking, from Thanksgiving to New Year’s
- Brunch is served in just 20 minutes with these delicious ‘sheet pan pancakes’
- Restrictive eating plans continue to dominate the healthy food landscape—where does that leave eating disorder survivors?
- There are 17 different types of sugar—but this one is truly problematic for your health
- 8 ways to cook with cauliflower this Thanksgiving that go way beyond cauli mash
- Are carbs friend or foe when it comes to brain health?
- 7 healthy muffin tin breakfast recipes for people who like to sleep in
- The Paleo diet is an inflammation-fighting super star—but it comes with some downsides
- Take your Sweetgreen salad order to the next level with these dietitian-approved picks
- Love Starbucks protein-rich sous vide eggs? These are even fluffier and only take 30 seconds to make
- What a ‘healthy plate’ looks like in 6 different countries
- Matcha has been around for hundreds of years—here’s why it’s (still) so popular today
- The 2-ingredient breakfasts doctors eat every day
- Well+Good readers share their favorite hot breakfasts that aren’t oatmeal
- ‘I’m an endocrinologist, and these are the 4 things I do for my hormone health’
- The 6 healthiest smoothies and snacks you can get at Jamba Juice, according to a top dietitian
- 9 must-have cookbooks for every type of keto dieter
- If Instant Pot and sous vide had a baby, this would be it
- Feeding a crowd? Here’s how to create a ‘Venn diagram menu’ and make everyone happy
- 5 recipes that prove panini presses aren’t just for smooshed sandwiches
- What a healthy plate looks like on the ketogenic diet
- How to eat healthy at the Whole Foods hot bar, according to a registered dietitian
- How to use your air fryer to get a healthy dinner on the table tonight
- When it comes to alt-sweeteners, monk fruit is officially the new stevia
- 9 keto-approved muffin recipes that pair perfectly with buttered-up coffee
- From Weight Watchers to WW: How the global weight loss company is evolving into a full wellness brand
- 15 healthy hotspots to checkout next time you’re in Atlanta
- Is fashion’s latest obsession with cowboys just channeling the Wild West energy of today’s cultural climate?
- There’s now an official start date to cuffing season (and hey, you’ve got time)
- Trading your old clothes in for cool new ones is a dream fashion brands are making a reality
- Patterned tights are the only thing your legs need to take your summer dress obsession in to fall
- How to finally stop pesky razor bumps in their tracks
- Here’s what your gas says about your health
- Chamomile tea seems snoozy, but it could actually be a sick-day secret weapon
- Is tofurky actually healthy?
- The resurgence of workwear is giving rise to a whole new generation of Rosie the Riveters
- You know you have a flawless poop when when the tissue is clean post-wipe
- If you need me, I’ll be at Costco getting *all* the pricey beauty products for way less
- Nicole Kidman and Keith Urban have a morning ritual, and it’s honestly so adorable
- How to shop Ulta Beauty’s Black Friday sale like a beauty editor
- I was consistently airborne for 3 days and this product saved my dry skin
- The easy food hack that could keep your stress levels in check
- A new earring trend that’ll have you seeing red
- Here’s How This Urban Oasis is Paving the Way for Wellness in Miami (Plus What to do When You Visit)
- 11 decorative candles that are too cool to burn (which makes them the healthiest kind)
- Pass the trail mix because this new fashion trend is all about embracing great outdoors vibes
- 12 pairs of comfy jeans that’ll convince you to leave the stretch for your workout
- What to get your fitness-obsessed friends who seemingly have everything
- This is What Actually Happens to Your Gut When You’re Stressed Out
- Timber! Your yoga mat could be actively sabotaging your balancing poses
- 10 places sneakerheads actually shop at in New York City
- 5 major reasons why sleeping next to your S.O. is so freaking hard
- A doc explains how to get those tiny bumps on your tongue to go away
All rights reserved @ CityWomen