February 13, 2020 at 09:00PM by CWC
It’s not easy to improve upon the simple pleasures of a Rice Krispies Treat, but leave it to Well+Good Council member Candice Kumai to tweak the recipe into something even more delightful. Below, her version of the iconic dessert brings in coconut oil, matcha, and dark chocolate—and though it should go without saying, the results are delicious.
These are perfect for Valentine’s Day and every day… and they’re ready in 15 minutes! I hope you’ll share this recipe with friends! Tag me on Instagram if you make them, because I’m dying to see them for Valentine’s and Galentine’s day!
Matcha Rice Krispies Treats
Yields 1 dozen squares
- 4 Tbsp (1⁄4 cup) coconut oil (or butter, if you’re not vegan)
- 4 ½ cups mini marshmallows
- 6 ½ cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 2 tsp matcha powder (like Matcha Love by Ito En, my fave!)
- 1 cup melted dark chocolate chips, optional
1. Grease a 8×10 or 9×11 inch baking pan.
2. In a large pot, melt the coconut oil on medium heat. Using a spatula, gently fold in tiny marshmallows. Mix well to combine, then turn stove off.
3. Add in the Rice Krispies cereal and matcha. Mix until the cereal is completely coated with the marshmallow mixture.
4. Using a spatula, transfer mixture to the baking pan. Press firmly to set in pan.
5. Cool completely, then coat with melted chocolate if desired.
Candice Kumai is an internationally renowned wellness writer and chef is a five-time, best-selling author. A Top Chef alumna and Food Network guest, she’s appeared as a judge on Iron Chef America and Beat Bobby Flay. Candice is a former model, a lover of vegan cake baking, a matcha fan, and a total sneakerhead. In her downtime, she enjoys avocados, her cat Sis, and barre. Her latest book, Kintsugi Wellness, is out now.
What should Candice write about next? Send your questions and suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org.